Saturday, October 1, 2011

Life on Life's Terms




Acceptance is key.  This is what I kept hearing in my mind all day as I was at the Mayo Clinic.  Not as a pep talk but as a confirmation. 

I'd had myself entirely worked up earlier this week knowing that I had doctor's appointments scheduled all day for yesterday and today.  Then more this coming Tuesday.  Basically, I was just really ticked.  I did not want to spend all day for multiple days at the doctor's. Especially when I had more homework assigned for my class than usual.  

On Wednesday, I took pen to paper and wrote about it.  I was going to transfer it here.  I'm glad I didn't because I think it was pretty angry and complainy.  Somewhere in there though, I wrote about seeking gratitude with it all.  And I tried.  And it didn't readily come and I had a really crappy Wednesday.  

Then Thursday came and I got my butt down to the doctor's and it really wasn't that bad.  And I started focusing on acceptance.  Accepting that I have an issue which is going to require trips to the doctor.  Accepting that a lighter school day for the kids is not the end of the world.  Accepting that God's in control of it all anyway, so I might as well just go along for the ride.  



So, then back again today.  First appointment at 9:30, the last at three.  Not only was it really not so bad today, it was actually kind of good.  God changed my perspective.  

The Mayo Clinic is located in a really beautiful deserty, mountainous area, especially pretty in the morning.  They play church bells throughout the day, sort-of giving the whole affair a spiritual retreat type of feel.  And they are on top of it and quick.  I had more free time in between appointments than I thought I would because once you check in to each appointment they take you right back.  And so I worked out two rough drafts for my class.  God provides.  

And I was thinking about acceptance and about how once I accomplished that, I felt as though my eyes were opened up to new insight.  

I began to realize certain things.  I realized that I had previously believed I had accepted my disease.  And in a way I have.  I've accepted it on certain levels and then there are other levels which I've denied, not wanting to let it win.  But in AA the first step is admitting we were powerless.  Admitting we are powerless transfers the power to the One who can transform.  

I probably can't capture all that I've felt today.  All that I've realized.   But I do know that acceptance is key.  The key to serenity.  Spiritual kindergarten here.  

"We are only operating a spiritual kindergarten in which people are enabled to get over drinking (self) and find the grace to go on living to better effect." AS BILL SEES IT, p. 95

And when I'm blinded by my inability to trust or to accept, I can't see what God has for me.

"...acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.  When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation-some fact of my life-unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake.  Until I could accept...life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy.  I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes."
-BB p.417  


Submitting at Weekend Reflections and 







5 comments:

  1. Nice words, and lovely picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The serenity prayer is key for me. There's a whole lot around me that I cannot change--though I dare not admit it sometimes. But when I really get down to it, all I can control is me, and even then sometimes I can't get that right either.

    I have to rely on my higher power--Jesus Christ.

    Blessings,
    Daphne
    http://blog.daphnewrites.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post!
    thank you for linking with Flowers on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so very much for linking this inspirational post to my Pinning and Singing Pinterest Party. Your pin is wonderful and I will be repinning it for sure.

    I hope that your appointments weren't too trying for you and that you are OK.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete