Sunday, October 9, 2011

Identity




I've been sort of a wreck lately.  So much is coming to light for me but as the darkness recedes, I'm blinded with questions.

  I'm probably an over-analyzer.  But I'm a woman.  And I think (hope?) most woman are probably this way.

I've been struggling through a bit of an identity crisis lately.  Although, I wouldn't have named it that before.  I was fighting, but not sure what I was fighting for.

I met with friends on Friday night.  Friends I hadn't seen in twenty years--since sixth grade.  These were girls  I'd played with and now for the first time  women I was having an adult conversation with.  It was a trip.  And it was eye-opening.  Because in their faces, I saw my own reflected back.  The little girl I once was.  And I wondered where she'd gone.  So much has been lost.  The core of who I am.

I know whose I am.  And I know, too, that when it all comes to the end that is all that will matter.  The strain then, is the here and now.  The me, face to face, with Jesus, Him knowing me beneath the false self, beneath  even the me I think I am.

And now it's all shedding.  And I'm straining to hear my name called out.  The name He has given me.

For too long I've let other people identify me.  I've allowed labels to be my identifier.

I've been someone's child, someone's friend, someone's wife.  I've been an alcoholic, bulimic, obsessive-compulsive.

But there's a child inside me who is the me I was created to be. And I want to find her.  And the only way to do that is to allow God to show me who I am in Him.

 "When we reached A.A., and for the first time in our lives stood among people who seemed to understand, the sense of belonging was tremendously exciting. We thought the isolation problem had been solved.  But we soon discovered that, while we weren't alone any more in a social sense, we still suffered many of the old pangs of anxious apartness.  Until we had talked with complete candor of our conflicts, and had listened to someone else do the same thing, we still didn't belong.  Step Five was the answer.  It was the beginning of true kinship with man and God." Twelve and Twelve, p. 57






How do I even know others if I do not know myself?  How can I see other's from God's eyes, when I can't see myself from His eyes?

Submitting at Spiritual Sundays and 5 minutes just for me

13 comments:

  1. I think your identity problem is a very common one. We get so many different messages from our society today. I'm surprised we're not more confused than we are. I don't know a lot about AA but I believe they do a lot of good. It helps to know we are not alone in the problems we have. One thing I know, this life is very short. And eternity is very long and we need to be as close to God and His son Jesus as we can. Of course we can't do that on our own. But He says if we seek Him with our whole heart, we will find Him. As you stated, you know whose you are and in the end that's all that matters. I think that is exactly right. I think the more we focus on others and how we can be of help to them that we will be happier, more contented people.
    Thank you for sharing your heart.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention I've always been intrigued with the song A Horse With No Name. Maybe because I live in the desert it means even more.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quote by Lewis. The song that comes to me is, "Christ is the answer to all our problems..." And He is. The media tries to dictate who we are, but in Christ we are children of the King -- that's quite an identity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from the desert, too, Charlotte. This is probably what attracted me to the song in the first place. Pamela, aren't all of Lewis' quotes great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your openness about wanting to peel away all the identities the world has heaped on you over the years. I think we've all been there. Only the Lord can reveal to us who we really are. For without Him, we are nothing and can do nothing. I can tell you what I do, my position in my family, my physical characteristics, etc. But you would still not know me. But I will tell you I am a child of the King of Kings, the Lord God Almighty. Now you will begin to understand who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, thank you for sharing yourself as I know I can relate and many others do to. I am still trying to find who He created me to be, who I really am. I don't want to be defined by man, but by Him. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a very honest post most of us can relate too. Identity is a tough question to deal with - We would all love to just be the way God created us but life and others take us far away from it sometimes. We just have to remember the example of Jesus and turn to God asking for help.
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're all on a journey, I think. We're all becoming. When we walk with Christ we become, very slowly (painfully slowly, at times!) more like Him...which means we become better all the time. I see it's been some time since you've posted, here; I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it's been busy. And I'm participating in NaNoWriMo this month.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such a great song, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Misty, that quest to find who we were called to be can seem long, can't it?

    ReplyDelete