Saturday, December 17, 2011

Restore us to sanity

So, I worked 'the steps' many years ago.  Got my life together. Grew in my relationship with God.  Thought I was daily working the steps.  Yup, me and God were cool.

And then....

Then about a month ago, things in my life went haywire.  And I came to a place where I realized my life had become unmanageable. Because though I no longer (by the grace of God) desire to drink in order to solve or hush my problems, I do use other coping mechanisms.  I deny. I repress. I water seeds of bitterness.  And so my inner life, I find unmanageable.

And I've needed to come back to the steps.  I've said before that the steps apply to everything.  It is said in the program that steps one through three can be summed up in the saying, "I can't. God can.  I think I'll let Him."

Nicole Vaughn is doing a series on her blog on the names of God. Today she covered Adonia.  She says,


"When Abram answered God and said "O Lord GOD" he was saying "O Adonia GOD". The word Adonia means Lord or Master. It was at this time that Abram was submitting himself to God's Lordship. It was at this moment that he said, "I am not the boss of my life, God, You are."  

I loved this.  And it reminded me of giving our lives over to the care of God.  I have always had faith.  And yet, I have not always handed my life over to His care.  Lately, I have been meditating on the words in step two: "Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."


It's a bit hard to admit I need at this point in my life to be restored to sanity.  But I do.  When I am just restless, irritable and discontent..this means I need restoration to sanity.

"Here are thousands of men and women, worldly indeed.  They flatly declare that since they have come to believe in a Power greater than themselves, to take a certain attitude toward that Power, and to do certain simple things, there has been a revolutionary change in their way of living and thinking.  In the face of collapse and despair, in the face of the total failure of their human resources, they found that a new power, peace, happiness, and sense of direction flowed into them. This happened soon after they wholeheartedly met a few simple requirements.  Once confused and baffled by the seeming futility of existence, they show the underlying reasons why they were making heavy going of life.  Leaving aside the drink question, they tell why living was so unsatisfactory.  They show how the change came over them.  When many hundreds of people are able to say that the consciousness of the Presence of God is today the most important fact of their lives, they present a powerful reason why one should have faith." - from "We Agnostics" in AA Big Book.

9 comments:

  1. I really related to this. I've been sober for 12 years, don't act out but I have found other negative ways to deal with the stress. Just because we're technically sober doesn't mean we're in recovery. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good reminder for all of us. We can't but God can and He will...He does....I needed this today myself...God bless.
    www.myautumnyears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have someone I'd really like to send this to. Hmmm, but would I offend? I need to think about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I have six years and am now getting back to meetings. I just need them for daily living. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all need a bit of sanity - especially this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the well needed reminder! Great post Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many who need to be restored to sanity. I just noticed after I clicked to become a follower of this blog that I was already following. Usually it doesn't allow duplicates. Anyway, I guess I'm double following you. LOL
    Thank you for sharing this thought provoking post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete