Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Higher Power

"...correcting one's faults seemed to depend entirely on will power, directed at eliminating them.  Bad habits and compulsions cannot be conquered by determined resolutions or promising ourselves that we won't go on doing this or that....They must be replaced -with their opposites. The secret is to substitute the positive for the negative..."-One Day At A Time In Al-Anon




Twelve step programs are spiritual programs. I was 'lucky' enough that when I first stepped into the rooms, I already had a Higher Power.  Now I didn't think that He much wanted anything to do with me but I didn't doubt His existence. 


 Step one has us admit that we are powerless, two brings us to a belief in a Higher Power and step three is a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of this Higher Power.  I've seen a lot of people try the program without step two and three.  Bluntly said, it doesn't work. 


At a meeting the other night, a guy shared that because he didn't believe in God, he was simply going to try to live morally.  But our will power fails because the flesh is weak.  Look at how we refer to God in the program:"Higher Power".  Higher than us.   Power.  The One Who holds power, who is power.  One definition of power says it is, "The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively." I find great relief in this.  That I do not have the power but God does.  He can perform, or act where I cannot. Through me.  For me. 


The act on my part is the replacement.  Replacing myself as God for the true and living God.  Replacing negative tapes with positive tapes. Yet, I hold no positive thoughts without God working in and through me, telling me a new story.   


The twelve steps are simple.  And yet profound.  


And it works...if you work it.






submitting at Playdates with God

1 comment:

  1. You say so much here in such a small space. No...our will-power will never be enough, will it? How truly profound.

    ReplyDelete